The Apple Watch is arguably the best smartwatch available today, and even though it may not be essential, it is indispensable due to the complete experience it offers. It has even been known to save lives.
At WWDC, Apple revealed WatchOS 6 with some new health-related features, apps from Apple, complications, and more. Updates to the Apple Watch include:
- Activity trends: Trends of your activity will be presented on your Apple Watch and iPhone so you get a more complete picture of your daily activity. The trends are designed to help you improve your performance and motivate you to continue your success.
- Cycles: We have seen Fitbit and Garmin release updates for wearables to support menstrual cycle tracking and women’s health monitoring. Apple is now joining these companies to also offer support for women. The Cycles app is also available on your iPhone so even if you don’t have an Apple Watch you can still use this app.
- Apps: Audio books, Voice Memos, and Calculator are new apps developed and provided by Apple. The Calculator app even supports tip calculating, including splitting the tip, right from your Apple Watch.
- Apps independent of iPhone: Apps currently require a companion app to be installed on your iPhone. With WatchOS 6 apps can be installed right on the Apple Watch and work independently from the iPhone.
- Streaming audio API: Developers will be able to soon enable apps to stream audio content directly to the Apple Watch via a wireless data connection.
- App Store to the Apple Watch: The full App Store will appear and be accessible directly from your Apple Watch. You will be able to purchase and install apps directly from the Apple Watch.
- New complications: Several new complications are coming to the Apple Watch, including Audio Books, sound meter (your Apple Watch acts as a sound meter to measure decibel levels), and Voice Memos (this will be fantastic for recording thoughts while running).
The Apple Watch was already a fantastic wearable and with these additional features there is no doubt that it is the best smartwatch available today.
Apple also introduced several new colorful band options for the Apple Watch.
Apple WatchOS 6 is being released to developers this week with the software update coming to your Apple Watch this fall. In typical fashion, there will also be early beta releases of WatchOS 6 for those willing to risk running into bugs prior to the full public release.